Log in

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Welcome to the World

On Monday at just after 6 AM, Amy woke me and said, "I think my water just broke." It did. We weren't ready, not quite, and he was early. We had gone the weekend before to Babies R Us for the things we still needed, and I'd just washed and vacuumed the car out so we could put the car seat in it. So Amy put the seat in the car as we waited for Amy's mom to arrive and watch Zoey. We packed stuff and headed for the hospital.

I dropped Amy off and parked the car, then headed in. I found Amy in the temporary area, and we did the check-in process. We ended up walking for a while, and I went for lunch at the hospital. Later, we got a room. Amy was attempting a vbac (vaginal birth after caesarian), so they gave her a small amount of pitocin, though they were worried that it wouldn't go so well. Her nurse was really skeptical, though she didn't really say a lot about it. When Amy said this was the last one, and that one of us plans to take permanent measures for that. She would say things like, "You know how permanent that is, right?"

After 4:30 or so, Amy had the epidural. She was awfully uncomfortable, and they said if there was no change by 6, they'd do the c-section. She dilated from 2 to 7 between 4 and 5:30, and she finished dilating soon after. With a fair amount of pushing, she managed to deliver. Dr. D'Amatto used the vacuum to help him out, 3 pulls and 1 pop-off, and he arrived. He had his umbilical cord around his neck, but it was snipped quickly, and he was cyanotic. They declared his APGAR score an 8-9, though, which was really good, and he was cleaned up and given to us.

7 lbs 13 oz, 20 1/2 inches, 7:01 PM on August 31. The doc's office thought he was 3 weeks and a day early (making him a preemie), we thought a week less, and the test done to determine such things said 39 weeks (a week under). He's amazing. William Alexander Abbott, called Xander.

In the early morning hours, we were finally moved to a recovery room, which we leave in the next little bit. I've been in and out yesterday as I took care of Zoey. Today, Zoey's at her first day of preschool, and we're hoping to be fully home in time to go get her together. We'll be going home soon, though.

Xander cries a lot less than Zoey did. He's a cute kid. As the delivery continued, the drama unfolded on facebook's comments section, along with everyone's replies. I'll try to get back on here soon and post a few pictures, and more of them will go up on facebook.

In the last 3 days, things have changed in a tremendous way.



Sep. 2nd, 2009 05:17 pm (UTC)
Beautiful! YAY!!!! Happyhappyhappyhappy! Congratulations!